These scammers are saying “we are from the Windows team” or “We are Windows Support” or something like that, to scare you into letting them into your computer.
- Be careful when you Google for help, be sure the companies are reputable and be sure you are calling the right companies. Nowadays, you can Google “Microsoft support” and get a fake company! This is VERY common.
- Do not call the numbers on pop up ads when you are browsing the internet, these are fake alerts that you have a virus.
- Never let anyone remote in your computer that called YOU. If you called me for an appointment, this is ok or calling a local computer repair store, but just someone calling you out of the blue is NOT OK.
- If you called them and are not sure, just hang up and call us and we will let you know if it’s a scam or real. 838-4477
- If your guts says no or you feel weird, hang up or turn off your computer immediately. Even if you allowed them in your computer, they will say things to scare you into paying. Turning off the computer and calling a professional IT company or us immediately is what we recommend. Remember, if they are in the computer and you don’t pay, this is when this happens… Destruction and deletion of data, Computer inoperable
- Do they steal your data? From what we have heard… this is not common but a maybe, they mostly want to get your credit card number and charge you for fake services. If you did this, you can call your credit card company and they should charge back that service. Remember if they are remoted in and you don’t pay, it is TOO LATE. They will destruct data or lock you out of your computer!
- Do they destroy your data? Usually this happens if you ask for your money back and they are remoted in.
- Do they lock you out of your computer? Yes, and sometimes they put a virus on your computer if you don’t pay or say you want your money back.
Please share this with your parents, friends and family. Anyone that you feel will benefit from this information.